The very first time I stepped into Costco and found some of these ingredients available in bulk, at a fraction of the price, I was sold! That being said, I thought I would share a few of the staples that I buy when I go to Costco. For those of you who have never heard of Costco, Costco is a membership warehouse club that sells fresh fruits, vegetables, organic grocery items, prepared meals, dairy products and so much more! Below are my staple items that I keep in my refrigerator that are healthy, essential and will get you the best bang for you buck.
1. Organic Multigrain Tortilla Chips: These chips are the perfect snack when you are wanting something salty or if you want to pair with guacamole or salsa. The chips are USDA Organic, Kosher Certified Gluten Free, Non-GMO Project Verified and Vegan.
2. Kirkland’s Vanilla Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk: You Can never have enough almond milk in your refrigerator! You can drink as is or with your smoothies. The almond milk is vegan, dairy, lactose and soy free. The great thing about this milk is that there is NO added sugar!
3. Bulk Avocados: You can eat avocados with anything! I pair them with my eggs, on tacos, guacamole, on sandwiches or eat them plain! Costco usually sells 5-6 avocados per bag for around $6. Avocados are loaded with heart healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
4. Kirkland’s Unsalted Mixed Nuts: Nuts are a perfect healthy snack when you are on the go. Nuts are packed with fiber, heart healthy fats, numerous nutrients and protein. The portion controlled nuts are a smart buy to make sure you are not overdoing the portion amount!
5. Kirkland’s Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil: This is one of the most used items I use. I cooked all of my meats, roasted vegetables, eggs and salads with this olive oil.
6. Organic Frozen Blueberries: Blueberries are the king of antioxidants, may help protect against aging and cancer, protect cholesterol in the blood, may help prevent disease and is loaded with vitamins and minerals. You can put them in your smoothies, oatmeal, desserts, etc but make sure to buy organic!
7. Rotisserie Chicken Breast Meat: Ok busy mothers, this one is for you! You can buy this item in the refrigerator section in the back of Costco. I use this chicken to make stews, chicken parmesan casserole, chicken salad, etc. I used to buy the whole rotisserie chicken but it was also messy and took a lot of time to remove the meat from bones. You can use this chicken with any recipe that calls for chicken!
8. Kirkland’s Organic Grade A Eggs: I make eggs every morning for my breakfast and the 24 count will last about 2 weeks! Again, if you can, buy organic.
9. Marinated Wild Alaskan Salmon: This salmon is delicious! All you do is thaw, place in oven and pair with a veggie. You should always try to buy wild caught fish compared to farm raised due to the mercury levels, levels of diseases, feed and nutrition.
10. Natural Grass Fed Charbroiled Beef Patties: Burger anyone?! These burgers are healthy, safe and delicious! They are already fully cooked so you can throw them on the grill or put them in the microwave if you’re in a rush. A great source of iron and protein!
11. Organic Quinoa and Brown Rice: Need a grain with your dinner?! All organic and super easy to prepare!
There are so many more items that you can buy from Costco but I truly think these are the essentials. I hope you enjoy and happy shopping!